2023年9月12日火曜日

Bartleby, The Scrivener by Herman Melville

   This is one of the most difficult story I have ever read. I was not able to figure out what Melville wants to say. First, I thouoght Bartleby was a sort of God, but then I regarded him as Fate, because you cannot change your Fate however way you try. The narrator trys to change his manner but failed in his attempts and gets rid of himself and leaves the office. Finally, the narrator reveals his job before he came to the narrator's office. He was working for a Dead Letter Office. I then thought Bartleby was death itself. From the first appearance he was like a dead man and at the end of the story, the narrator depicts him as a sort of dead man or body.

He had no hope, nor aim in life, faced the dead wall and died of hunger. What a pity!  

I resent the way the narrator handled Bartleby. He was so generous. He should have forced Bartleby to go out of his office even with the help of the police. 

Anyway, this is a difficult story. Various interpretations are possible. I checked the Internet, and found not a few questions were asked about "Bartleby," a mysterious existence.



0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿