2016年4月13日水曜日

ARABY James Joyce

James Joyce presented a model example of how to write a good short story; it should gradually build up to the climax and give the reader the resolution at the end. The brief plot goes: the boy wants to buy something nice to the girl but his father doesn’t come back. He gradually gets irritated because the market would be closed soon. At the climax he says, “No, thank you” to the shop lady who was not kind enough. She at least did not encourage him to buy something. I identified myself with the boy. I understand the boy’s psychology when he said, “No, thank you.” The things surrounding him laughed at him, abused him, and depressed him. He was vexed. He was frustrated. The ending is impressive: “Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger.”
 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿