2024年1月25日木曜日

The Adventure of Speckled Band by Arthur Conan Doyle

This is the textbook for the YWCA short story class. With the great help by the instuructor, Emily, I read the story very minutely.

I read the story in Japanese translation when i was a boy. At that time I thought the bed was in the middle of the room and the ventilator was also in the middle of the ceiling, but I learned that it was quite near the wall. I don't know how I thought wrong. 

The specled band was a misleading words. Doyle cunningly led the reader to believe that the gypsies were responsible for the crime. 

The snake turns back to the doctor and kills him. That was too good to believe.

Some of the mistakes Doyle made according to Emily:

1. Baboons are not native to India. They live in Africa.

2. A swamp adder does not exist. It was created by Doyle for the story's sake.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿