2012年11月6日火曜日

TO BUILD A FIRE Jack London

  No other story is so moving. Immediately after I read a few pages, I found myself identified with the protagonist.
  His battle against the freezing cold, more than fifty degrees below zero, is lost when he gives up and sits on the icy ground, his body frozen and numbed, knowing that he will soon die.
  The climax of the story is when the thawed snow on the branches of the tree falls on his cherished fire. He uses his heels of his hands to light the last matches and then the light fades away because he scatters it with his frozen fingers against his will.
   Each scene that is getting worse and worse is so well described that I felt as if I were watching a movie. Jack London is a master of story telling.
  What moves the reader most is the story that deals with impending death. In the last part of the story, I was asking, “Can he survive? Can he survive?”
     P.S.
     Jack London may have written this book to warn human beings who are foolish enough to be destroying nature. If it were not for fire, the only method that distinguishes man and animals, what would happen to them?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿